Monday, May 5, 2008

Transportation - Self Evaluation

Since the beginning of school, my modes of transportation have changed dramatically. Between August and November, I would take the [R7] train into center city daily. To get to the train station required me to use my car to drive approx 2 miles from my house. Once in the city, I would typically travel by foot to wherever I would go. If it was hot out, I sometimes took the bus since I had a monthly SEPTA pass for the train (the pass could be used on all SEPTA transit lines - train, bus, subway and trolley).
Now that I live in the city, I typically walk everywhere. I find that I make this decision for a few reasons: 1. I do not have a bike lock, so that eliminates using my bike. 2. I like the exercise of walking. 3. It kills me to spend the money on a cab, when I know I can easily walk to just about anywhere in center city. This past weekend, I did ride my bike to the sports complex to watch the Broad Street Run. It was too far to walk, and how could I pass up an opportunity to ride down the middle of Broad Street without having to dodge cars or stop for any lights?
I find that the only time that I would use other modes of transportation in the city, is if I was traveling to main campus, or the Sports Complex (subway). This is mainly due to teh fact that there is a subway stop on my block, and it is easy.
In terms of route preference when I walk to places, I will typically change the route depending on the traffic lights. As we discussed in class, I am one of those people who does not like to stop at lights, and will often change the path of travel, depending on which light is green.

No comments: