Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Interview

Interview with 25 year old female who lives and Works in Center

Monday through Friday, I walk from home to work. Home is 16th/Spruce and work is 21st/Market. I take the same route everyday, up 16th to Locust, down Locust, through Rittenhouse, up 19th, down Chestnut and up 20th to Market. I take this route because most of the Patco people walk right up 16th Street (Patco is one block from me - 16th/Locust) and I hate walking through congested sidewalks. I walk fast and most people who don't live in Philly don't know how to walk on a sidewalk. Also, its nice to walk through Rittenhouse in the warmer months.

My other mode of transportation is my car. I use it probably 4 out of the 7 days a week. I use it for getting to Target, the grocery store, getting back and forth from old city (boyfriend lives there). When I drive, I take the same routes every time. To Old City, I usually take Pine St., because its not as congested as Chestnut, and Washington Square cuts Locust off. I also try and take the route with the most intersections that don't have a No Turn on Red sign, so I can get there faster. I avoid busy streets like Broad and Market. I drive for many reasons: Its more convenient, especially if I have a lot of stuff to transport. Lately, there's been subway attacks, so I feel like driving is also safer. I'm also not patient, I don't like waiting for buses or subways.
Finally, the last mode of transport I take are cabs. We take cabs mainly when we're in heels, or if its raining, or if we're drinking. Usually occurs on Friday and Saturday nights.

As an aside, I have only taken the bus twice since I've lived in Philly (been here four years). I only take the Regional Rail when I need to get to the airport and no one can drive me. Subway is for going to games at the Stadium, or taking it back and forth from olde city to center city if I don't have my car.

No comments: