Monday, May 5, 2008

Bike - Bus - Train Observation

This observation is from Sunday May 4th it is a mix of personal and external observation, I will try to keep them separate. I decided to go and visit my dad for a few hours, he lives in the suburbs, a half hour car drive or train ride from center city. I live a 12 minute bike ride or 20 min walk and subway ride from Center City. I decided to ride my bike to the train station and ride the train out to visit. At the time I didn't have the use of a car, which I am not sure would have changed my decision. But I chose to bike rather than walk to the connecting subway because it was quicker, cheaper, and a nice day outside. Along the way I made these observations...

I locked up my bike at the train station which happens to be next to the Greyhound Bus station and the Chinatown bus station. I took pictures of the Chinatown bus, which is truly a phenomenon to me. (http://www.chinatown-bus.org/) This bus has direct service to NYC and DC and leaves every half an hour from 8:00am to 11:00pm for only $20. At the time of the photo there were two buses lined up for departure.

I also decided to go into the Greyhound bus station and take some photos of the people waiting in line for the buses and some pictures of the timetables. Most everyone had some sort of luggage and appeared either tired or lost.

In the train terminal I snapped some photos of the line to buy tickets, the platform, and the train time display monitors. The train station had people hanging around and people waiting in line for tickets. The station I was at is located in a mall so some people were probably wandering. The people on the train were diverse. A group of younger kids got on in University City, which kind of confused me because it was relatively early in the day, 1:00pm and I was wondering why they would be heading out of the city at that time.

SUBJECTIVE:
Something that came to mind while writing this post is the amount of times that the ability for me to transport my bike on public transportation has definitely influenced my choices of whether or not to ride it in the first place.

No comments: