Thursday, June 12, 2008

Omnipresent Swoosh

Just some fun food-for-thought. A couple of weeks ago, I read one of Neutron's books, Brand Gap. In it, Marty Neumeier calls attention to the omnipresent "swoosh" as the symbol du jour in today's logos. I laughed at the folly of modern corporate branding teams; how naive of them to believe that adding a swoosh would set their logo apart and make it "fresh."

Today, while I flipped through the PRSA National Conference brochure, I came across just a few examples of the omnipresent swoosh and I laughed again. How trite.I stopped laughing; however, when I realized that the swoosh has become so overused that it's found its way onto Jefferson's new logo :( Side note: PGW is also defenseless against the omnipresent swoosh, see below.

1 comment:

Chris said...

lol yea Jackie that's pretty funny. I'm curious though did the book explain how the fad started? My guess is that it started the same way every other fad in this society starts. Some popular company and/or person did it first and then a bunch of wannabes followed thinking that that was how they can mimic their popularity and success. Not realizing that a companies success has a lot more to do than how "cool" their logo looks...